When Invisalign clear aligners first came on the market in 1999, they offered an alternative to traditional metal braces. They were hailed as a big advance in modern dental orthodontics.
To this day, Invisalign continues to grow in popularity all over the world. Independent academic research has proven the benefits of Invisalign- for a patient’s emotional and physical well-being during teeth-straightening treatment.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Looks better – Invisalign aligners are transparent and discreet. Patients are less self-conscious when wearing them.
- Prevents plaque and oral infection – Invisalign aligners are removable. This makes normal oral care (incl. brushing and flossing) far easier and more effective than cleaning teeth while wearing fixed metal braces.
- Gentler on your teeth roots – Invisalign treatment realigns your teeth roots with less torque than metal braces. This gradual shift causes less damage to your teeth root structures (Resorption), which means stronger teeth.
- More comfortable to wear – Invisalign aligners are changed fortnightly so each alignment step is more gradual and less painful than traditional braces. There are also no metal wires or brackets poking and pressing against the inside of your mouth. Invisalign aligners are strong and flexible, causing less cheek and gum irritation.
- Made from FDA-approved, medical-grade, material-safe and allergy-free plastic polymers
- Comparable in price to braces – Treatment costs can vary, depending on individual needs. Your Invisalign provider, government tax rebates and health fund membership may largely offset treatment costs also.
- Utilises 3D scanning and imaging – Before your aligner trays are fabricated, your dentist can manipulate your “virtual” teeth on a computer and show you a preview of the final results. No surprises!
The benefits of Invisalign are clear. But they aren’t suitable for everyone. Before deciding on Invisalign as a treatment, you will need to consult your dentist to determine if you can benefit from Invisalign treatment.
Limitations and disadvantages of Invisalign
- Maintaining treatment requirements – Removing your Invisalign aligners for eating and tooth brushing is a plus. But forgetting to re-insert your aligner trays, and not clocking up the requirement of wearing them 22 hrs per day, can result in treatment failure. Using Invisalign aligners requires self-discipline.
- Cleaning – Not only do you have to brush and floss your teeth, you have to clean your aligners also. Otherwise, the oral health benefits of Invisalign are compromised.
- Not suitable for all orthodontic conditions – Invisalign can’t treat all cases of malocclusion. Specialised orthodontic braces may be required for overbites, cross-bites, severe crowding of teeth, rotated teeth, single tooth adjustments and shifting teeth vertically.
- Treatment times may be longer – Traditional braces can be a faster treatment. But when your teeth are being repositioned permanently, it pays to adjust them more gradually, to prevent tooth and root resorption.
So, there are quite a few factors to consider, if you’re comparing Invisalign with other teeth-straightening treatments.
To make an informed decision, we can help you. Just book a consultation with one of our dentists at either of our TC Dental clinics in Mt. Gravatt or Annerley. We are certified Invisalign providers. For any questions, please call us on 07 3848 1574 or 07 3349 9334.