Dental crowns are a dental prosthetic restoration that fits over a heavily damaged tooth or dental implant. Once the crown is permanently bonded into place, it effectively becomes that tooth’s new outer surface, and restores its function and appearance. You can eat and drink normally, and you clean crowns in the same way as you would brush and floss your other natural teeth.
How do dental crowns work?
A crown is basically a prosthetic tooth that is usually made from porcelain or gold and metal alloys. The underside of a crown has an exact negative impression of the prepared natural tooth structure, so when placed, it fits perfectly onto the tooth, and can be bonded seamlessly – to prevent oral bacteria from entering between the crown and tooth. In the event of a dental implant, the crown is specially designed to fit and be secured onto the implant.
The benefits and advantages of crowns
Dental crowns are a beneficial solution for a range of tooth health issues. Your dentist may recommend a dental crown for the following reasons:
- Restore and strengthen teeth heavily damaged by major tooth decay and cavities
- Replace large fillings because of a lack of remaining natural, supportive tooth structure
- Renew tooth grinding surfaces that have worn away or eroded
- Protect teeth from further decay, erosion or damage
- Restore teeth that have undergone root canal treatment
- Secure and support cracked, fractured or broken teeth
- Prevent weak teeth from cracking or fracturing
- Cap a dental implant
- Attach a dental bridge
- Make cosmetic improvements to your teeth’s shape, size and colour
Crowns custom-made on-site
At TC Dental Group, we have a special-partner dental ceramist on-site right next to our clinic – for faster and more efficient service. Oral Ceramics is renowned for their skill, quality and reliability in producing crowns using only the highest quality materials. Together, we aim to provide our patients with strong, functional and aesthetic crown restorations that will last for many years.
If you would like to find out more information regarding crowns, or to book a consultation, please call us on 3349 9334 (Mt.Gravatt), or 3848 1574 (Annerley).